Old December 27th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Vinnie S. Vinnie S. is offline

Default Uniden PC 76XL

"Thank you" for trying to help! Yes, in my research - I found D11 was the
one that "should" have been cut/pulled. D8 - was indeed removed purposely -
looking at the solder joints - with the one "partial" leg still there. Also,
I found a mod calling for a "jumper to be placed across D8". So - I'm not
sure if the person thought just pulling it would help! I can't read minds.

As I alluded to in follow up posts, this was a failed attempt to modify.
Once I realized D8 wasn't the one they wanted, replacing D8 restored Tx.
Then there was the talk back resistor put in. I just wasn't sure if the
failed Tx and "talk back" were both linked to a "defect". Without the
schematic, I "didn't" trace it manually and therefore wasn't sure what D8
was for - I hadn't focused any attention yet on the "jacks" where the talk
back resistor was. My main concern was with restoring the transmit. I went
on to check - before replacing the diode - to see if any other pitfalls
awaited me. There were none. If I had googled the Mods for this "first" - I
would have figured it out without posting here. But I was also looking for
the schematic as well, and thought someone here could help out or at least
give some guidance as to some parts.

Well - Kudos to you and Jay for "polite" responses. Thanks for the help and
support.

I am working ona couple restore projects. One is a tube radio, and I was never
trained on tubes. The other is a TRC-457, which looks hacked. I have determined
that is a bad final, but I think I have to undo the channel mods. They don't
look very good.

Vinnie S.