Old December 27th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J. Mc Laughlin J. Mc Laughlin is offline

Default Collins' Curtain Array

Dear Yuri:

Indeed. See my original posting for a discussion of a circular, curtain
array.

Your idea of some vertical beam steering is interesting. That would
require adding or subtracting phase to one of the two sections. The picture
seems not to show means to perform this bifurcation. The middle doublet has
a parallel transmission line going from its middle both upward and downward.
Of course, a switching means could be hidden by the mast.

What continues to puzzle me is the use of the two groups of seven
doublets that seem to be connected by a mesh butterfly. It may well be that
those groups of seven serve the same function as conventional, fat-dipoles
in front of a reflector screen.

Unfortunately, my dedicated computer used for modeling died. It had an
Intel board that had been stuffed with defective capacitors and only lasted
four years. Its replacement (P4 3.2 GHz + 3 GB of memory) has yet to be
brought up to speed (something is holding down its performance) - waiting
for son's help. In short, I have yet to model the group of seven +
butterfly.

Thanks, 73 Mac N8TT
--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:
"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote in message

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
Dear Tehrasha Darkon and Group:

Yes! An additional curtain antenna is seen off to the right of the
picture, which somewhat confuses. Additionally, the butterfly is not
easy to see on the nearest antenna. Thank you for finding the picture.

Now, if the actual antenna people who have been on this group have not
been driven off of the group by the theological ramblings about whether
angels exist and, if so, how many could fit on the head of a pin, please
enlighten this old antenna person who had thought he had seen every
practical antenna (including a good many that were not practical - see US
patent 1,554,231). What is the function of the groups of seven +
butterfly?

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

Hi Mac,

I have not build those monsters but examining the picture, what it looks
like:
The six towers in circle seem to be support for the reflection screens,
with wires stretched between them from top to bottom.
In the middle of each section and on the front of the screens is the tower
with sets of two broadband arrays, which should allow some vertical beam
steering, like a stack of two antennas. So six direction and some vertical
beam steering with great F/B thanks to reflector screens.
On the right there seems to be the classic curtain array with reflectors.

Most of the guys on this group know everything about antennas, lossless
lines, just don't have much in their backyards. :-)