Old December 30th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter Uncle Peter is offline

Default How good are the AR-88 RCA receivers?

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
It's wide as hell. Consequently the audio quality on shortwave

broadcasts
is excellent. It's not a DX machine, though.

I remember seeing an RCA Globecomm facility when I was a kid which was
equipped with three AR-88 sets and two Collins R-388 sets, and all of the
operators preferred working on the R-388 positions.

Still, saying "not as good as an R-388" is decent praise.
--scott

I'm surprised that it is that "wide." The selectivity curves are very
impressive;
and RCA put a lot of effort into the IF transformer design. I suspect
aligning
the IF and filter will be a bear to do.

This receiver is from an RCA Global Communications facility, it still has
the
RCA sticker and inventory number on the front panel. There's also a
custom calibrated BFO plate that wasn't on the orignal RX either.

Pete