Old December 30th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Brian Hill[_2_] Brian Hill[_2_] is offline

Default How good are the AR-88 RCA receivers?

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

It's wide as hell. Consequently the audio quality on shortwave broadcasts
is excellent. It's not a DX machine, though.

I remember seeing an RCA Globecomm facility when I was a kid which was
equipped with three AR-88 sets and two Collins R-388 sets, and all of the
operators preferred working on the R-388 positions.

Still, saying "not as good as an R-388" is decent praise.
--scott

I've owned a couple 88s in my time and yes it's no 390 but still a nice rig
if working well. They have decent audio and with a good antenna they are
capable of broadcast DX work to a point. Their no utility DX machine, but no
radio from that era really is.

--
Regards
B.H.