Old January 2nd 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mc mc is offline

Default Sony car shortwave radio?

I saw the specs once. You would not be impressed. If you are just
going to listen to the BBC, then satellite would be your answer. From
a shortwave perspective, Sirius is better than XM. XM just has the
BBC.

Kenwood made a small DIN sized DC to daylight radio, with daylight
somewhere around 900Mhz. The last one I saw on ebay was being sold by
RadioMart (TM). I recall it was rare and most excellent. ;-)

Thanks. It occurred to me that one thing to do would be rig up a power
supply and external antenna for my Sony ICF-2010 and feed its audio into the
front input jack of a newer-style car stereo. That would give me the audio
amplification needed to overcome road noise, etc. The same could be done
with the Kenwood you describe; my handheld VHF scanner; and other things.

I'd like to hear from someone who actually has the Sony shortwave-compatible
car stereo. I wish the price increment weren't so big ($250 for the version
with shortwave, $100 for same features without shortwave). If it were just
a small percentage of the price I'd go for it.