Old January 2nd 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Standing morphing to travelling waves. was r.r.a.a WARNING!!!

Jim Kelley wrote:
I have a piece of coax around here somewhere that I once burned up. I
recall telling you about it. The insulation is bubbled and melted at
half wavelength intervals. Please explain what particular aspect of a
traveling wave might have caused that to happen.

It was the simple scalar addition of two traveling waves
that caused it to happen. Since standing waves contain no
real power, they cannot directly supply any real power.

Only traveling waves, with their voltages and currents
in phase, can supply real power. Each traveling wave
delivers some of its energy which is converted into heat.

If you believe that steady-state standing waves can supply
real power, please explain how real power can be obtained
when the voltage and current are 90 degrees out of phase.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com