Old January 2nd 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Really old boatanchors - A Q about the age of spark

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
I'm looking for some reading material about radio from the
earliest
days up to the end of WWI and how it was used during the
war.

I've just reading a history of the Russian-Japanese war
(1904). It was
entirely a naval war, Russia sent it's entire fleet from
the Baltic
Sea to the Pacific Russian coast. Radio played a roll but
the book
didn't give me an idea of range or any of the equipment.
Radio was
always described as unreliable.

It got me to wondering about WWI. Can anyone recommend a
book
or a web site?

One excellent source is History of
Communications-Electronics in the United States Navy, by
Captain Linwood S. Howeth, USN (Retired) published by the
U.S.Government Printing Office (1963).
A HTML version of this is available at:
http://earlyradiohistory.us/1963hw.htm

But I think I was able to download a PDF version from the
web. This book is also an excellent source of history of the
formation of RCA. It also has an extensive bibliography.

--
---
Richard Knoppow