Old January 4th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Standing morphing to travelling waves. was r.r.a.a WARNING!!!

Richard Clark wrote:
"AI4QJ" wrote:
In any antenna, you will have a combination of standing waves and traveling
waves.

It took me only one post to prove that with data. I am not
responsible for Cecil's framing of the argument to the contrary.

I fail to see what Richard thinks he has proven except
that he disagrees with Balanis, Kraus, and Jasik. It
is obvious that a lot of people don't understand the
considerable difference between standing waves and
traveling waves on an antenna or on transmission lines.

Although every real-world antenna contains both standing
waves and traveling waves, a 1/2WL dipole is classified as
a standing-wave antenna and a terminated rhombic is
classified as a traveling-wave antenna. Anyone who is
interested can model those two antennas using EZNEC to
observe the considerable difference in the antenna
currents.

Balanis dedicates most of "Antenna Theory", Chapter 10,
Traveling Wave and Broadband Antennas", page 488, 2nd
edition, to traveling-wave antennas like the terminated
Beverage and rhombic.

Also from "Antennas" by Kraus & Marhefka, 3rd edition:
"The condition of a uniform traveling wave on an antenna
is one of considerable importance, as this condition may
be approximated in a number of antennas systems." He
talks about terminated Beverage and rhombic antennas as
examples of traveling-wave antennas.

Jasik says: "Practically all standing-wave long-wire
antennas have gone out of use with preference for the
traveling-wave types." He then discusses the terminated
rhombic as an example of a traveling-wave antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com