Old January 4th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Standing morphing to travelling waves. was r.r.a.a WARNING!!!

Cecil Moore wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:
"AI4QJ" wrote:
In any antenna, you will have a combination of standing waves and
traveling waves.

It took me only one post to prove that with data. I am not
responsible for Cecil's framing of the argument to the contrary.

From The IEEE Dictionary:

"traveling-wave antenna - An antenna whose excitation
has a quasi-uniform progressive phase, as the result
of a single feeding wave traversing its length in
one direction only."

Here are some more quotes from The ARRL Antenna Book:
"All the antenna systems considered so far in this
chapter have been based on operation with standing
waves of current and voltage along the wire. ..."

It then describes the concept of a terminated antenna
and says: "In such an antenna there are no standing
waves, because all received power is absorbed at
either end." The terminated rhombic antenna is then
described.

About Beverage antennas: "Because the Beverage is a
traveling wave, terminated antenna, it has no standing
waves resulting from radio signals."
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com