Old January 4th 08, 08:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Standing morphing to travelling waves. was r.r.a.a Laugh Riot!!!

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 00:40:23 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Here are some more quotes

Dragging more bones out of the crypt and calling them USDA Prime Rib.

About Beverage antennas: "Because the Beverage is a
traveling wave, terminated antenna, it has no standing
waves resulting from radio signals."

Well, that explains a Rhombic to clear up everyone's confusion! Gee,
Mr. Peabody, let's step into the "Way-Back machine" and find us an
example of this Beverage antenna!

I suppose this example would be either too real, and unrepresentative
of our Guru's pronouncements of RF purity;

OR

I suppose this example would be too text book, and unrepresentative of
our Guru's pronouncements of RF reality.

Gad, was is a loathsome degenerate like me suppose to do when faced
with a dilemma like this? I mean, damned if you do one, and damned if
you do the other.

The only choice is to use one of Cecil's designs and see what Cecil
would pop an aorta over.

So, with that in mind, I simply step into the Way-Back machine and
crank in Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:33:23 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:
The traveling-wave file is:

http://www.w5dxp.com/TravWave.EZ

It has already been demonstrated that it is inferior in design, but in
full faith to the original designer's intent of exhibiting a traveling
wave, I must stoop to accept less for the sake of embracing its
lineage (shudder).

Dear readers, we must take care not to upset the harmony of the
crystal spheres of our esteemed Guru of the Airwaves; however, fashion
dictates that the most recent withdrawal from the vaults above demand
an external radio signal, not one driving his divine inspiration. As
always, the best way to confound Cecil is to embrace his own work.
So, by the simple addition of ONE WIRE, 60 feet tall and located
100,000 feet away (we can't be bothered with interactions polluting
this study) we then shift the source to this distant radio to see what
currents are pressed upon the receiving antenna (as is such the
obvious destiny of the Beverage).

SWR along the length of the line: 8:1

Hmm, must be the charm of the original designer that so pollutes those
ancient tomes exposed to the cold cathode light of the Xerox. This
shocking result is certainly not the product of original thinking.

At this juncture, dare I attempt something more conventional? After
all, the Beverage is classically taller than Cecil's one foot tall
munchkin. It also resides over real ground, which, after all, is the
classic ingredient to its success. Having embraced damnation in using
Cecil's I can't be burned in purgatory for any more normal design.

So, let's see what appears on the radio from designs that are more
classic.

This time we have a 1000 meter long wire 3 meters above ground;
100,000 meters away is our transmitter;
we are operating on 3.8MHz;
the load of 600 Ohms is placed against a radial system below it;
there are 16 radials, each only 4 meters long, 1 centimeter above
real, high accuracy ground.

We turn on the transmitter, and look at the SWR due to currents
reported:
8:1 SWR at the transmitter end with the current phase swinging
like a pendulum. With something like 300 segments, that is
roughly a 18 degree shift per segment along the wire (Cecil's
forecast was 0) over a continuum of 360 degrees (cycle repeats
every 20 segments like clock work).

No doubt this unfortunate pair of designs (the prince and the pauper)
will evoke calumny and rage against this miserable churl for presuming
to interpret the mystic arts known only to the Gurus.

Another explanation might be that Traveling waves means something
altogether different than how they are commonly discussed on this
board. Perhaps the Xerox will reveal that nuance. Maybe it is a
threshold issue. The Guru need only climb the mount for more tablets
of scripture to render:
"All SWR less than 2:1 is henceforth decreed by holy writ
to be flat and conforming to the ecumenical standards of
Traveling Waves - so has it been said, so shall it ever be!"

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC