Old January 4th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Standing morphing to travelling waves. was r.r.a.a WARNING!!!

wrote:
This is the discussion I was hoping Cecil would take up.

I did take it up. Power was dissipated in the process
of destroying the coax. There is zero real power in standing
waves. Therefore, standing waves did not destroy the
coax. By the process of elimination, it was traveling
waves that destroyed the coax. The failure of the coax
caused the system to shift into the transient state
thus changing the standing waves to traveling waves
which delivered the power to destroy the coax.

During the initial transient state, traveling wave
energy becomes standing wave energy that exists
through steady-state. During the final transient
state, that steady-state standing wave energy is
released back to traveling wave energy and dissipated
or radiated. During the failure of the coax, standing
wave energy becomes traveling wave energy once again
which delivered the power to destroy the coax.

J. C. Slater says it is more likely that the damage
occurred at the current nodes rather than at the
voltage nodes.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com