Old January 7th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Standing morphing to travelling waves. was r.r.a.a Laugh Riot!!!

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 21:07:11 -0500, "AI4QJ" wrote:

But you said (in CAPS), "8:1 as evidenced by CURRENT on the wire. :-), You
cannot make a SWR measurement on a receive antenna any other way." Sorry if
the CAPS made my response look terse but I was only repeating your word
verbatim.

Hi Dan,

All very true, but the meaning to you is what you are questioning I am
quite sure, and as I am quite comfortable with what I meant (I wrote
it after all), just what is your question?

Given that, just as with the voltage VSWR, the current standing wave is
merely a depiction of the envelope of maximum amd minimum current values at
the various points along distance kx, how do you measure the standing wave
current on the wire?

It is reported with every other aspect of the antenna by EZNEC. You
should acquaint yourself with the common reports provided by it or
other modelers in the NEC field.

Do you use a current loop and measure the maxima and
minima of a great number of points on a line and then plot the ISWR outer
envelope on graph paper? My point is that standing wave current does not
travel through the wire, it merely oscillates at different max/min
amplitudes on each of the infinite number of points on the line. It cannot
be measured directly with a current loop.

Traveling? You've got yourself twisted around the axle. I've
measured these phenomenon professionally, to NBS standards across the
full range of RF out to 12GHz. Although the technique can be heavily
invested with up-front work, and certain methods must be chosen with
care, conceptually it is quite simple.

The VSWR meter on the ham rig is merely looking at the balance of forward
and reflected "power" and it is calibrated to read it out as VSWR (or SWR).
It may as well say "ISWR"; it is all the same thing. But it is not measured
by sensing either voltage ot current going into the antenna...it measures
the delta power.

99% of correspondents here have never had any experience with
determining SWR beyond the meter you just described. SWR was being
measured long before its invention, and you would be hard pressed to
find one in a laboratory (except as a customer's item to be tested).

Now, if you would simply take my advice to heart: strip away the
static and ask the question that is plaguing you.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC