Old January 7th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] swler@live.com is offline

Default Cable TV Too Lould

On Jan 7, 2:18 pm, msg wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:

snip

And there are a spate of new laws that prohibit modifying the
hardware, the stream, or the output of a commercially provided device to
modify content.

snip

More importantly, there has been an attempt for some time, now, to
actually define skipping commercials as 'theft of service,' and make it
illegal.

For awhile in the late '70s and early '80s in some U.S. cities a homeowner
could be subject to an intrusive search of premises if a certain size Yagi
antenna pointed in certain directions was observed on his property; the
intent was to prosecute 'theft of service' of directed pay TV services.

Erosion of freedom of information is one of the most disheartening aspects
of living in this era; the music industries draconian prosecution of suspected
illegal Internet downloading is just the most visible consequence. The absence
of universally accessible library content as popularized by Al Gore's once
proposed "information superhighway" never happened due to IP restrictions
among other limitations (efforts like Wikipedia are not really serious
substitutes IMHO). Too bad Mr. Gore abandoned this cause for another one
more politically popular.

When will people realize that freedom of access to and unfettered rights to use
information is as important to quality of life and advancement of civilization
as the securing of physical and political freedom, and as worthy of sacrifice
to establish and secure?

Do you have a site that anyone was actually busted, much less
convicted?
Here in central KY the cable company and I got into a ****ing contest
and
when they leaned on me for my oversize Log Periodic Dipole, I pointed
out
that per FCC rules they shouldn't have any detectable leakage. When
they
sent nastygrams, I responded with a impromptu net on the 6M frequency
they used as the low band AGC control reference.

They called me and begged me to call it off and even offered free
cable
and I told them pound sand and complained to the FCC. They got cited
and had to clean up their leakage. No "if ands or but". Clean it up of
shut
it down.

I can still detect and if I cared pull in enough signal to watch any
unscrambled
signal, but since I don't and didn't watch TV, I used the LPD for VHF
and UHF
scanning. The fact my antenna was mounted in the vertical axis instead
of
the normal horizontal axis.

Of the many things I worry about in life, being nailed for picking up
illegal CATV
from leakage is way down on my list.

Terry