Old January 9th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Standing morphing to travelling waves. was r.r.a.a Laugh Riot!!!

Dave wrote:
"AI4QJ" wrote in message
The VSWR meter on the ham rig is merely looking at the balance of forward
and reflected "power" and it is calibrated to read it out as VSWR (or
SWR). It may as well say "ISWR"; it is all the same thing. But it is not
measured by sensing either voltage ot current going into the antenna...it
measures the delta power.

how do you measure 'power'?? you don't. and no swr meter in the world
measures 'power'. they all take samples of voltage and/or current and drive
a simple meter circuit that just happens to be calibrated in units of watts
because thats what most users of cheap meters want to see. they could just
as easily be calibrated in volts or amps referenced to 50 ohms

SWR meters calibrated in watts? Really, where?

However, I do find it enough that my watt meter reads 2.5 KW and my
linear is 5 KW--loaded lightly to achieve the 2.5 KW. Somehow it just
makes sense ... and, I am running it into a dummy load--of course! :-D

Regards,
JS