Old November 7th 03, 10:29 AM
KC1DI

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:30:49 -0500, wrote:

Hi group,
just wondering.... can I take a 40M delta loop and add an 80M dipole to it?
Will there be interaction?
SWR problems?

Mark W4UDX

Hi Mark and All,

your Idea of adding a dipole to you 40 meter loop is not a great way
to go.. there will be interaction between the dipole and the loop.
that will cause you problems on both bands.. The better approach would
be to feed the loop with open wire through a good balanced tuner and
feed it on both bands.. on 80m for a 40 m loop you may have to open
the loop opposet from the feed point . If you have room however to
put up a 80 Meter horizontal loop and feed it with Open wire ( Ladder
Line) it will play very well on all bands 80-10m.

Remember a Horizontal loop will get better take off angel as you move
up in frequency. a vertical loop gets worse as you move up in
frequency. (that is higher take off angles) I used a 160M horizontal
loop here for many years .. until a storm took down too of the trees
used for support. But it was a good all round antenna.

73 Dave kc1di

P.S. you may want to read up on loops here's a good place to start.
http://www.cebik.com/vdelt.html

http://www.cebik.com/atl1.html

http://www.cebik.com/fdim/fdim5.html