Old January 13th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Tom Horne Tom Horne is offline

Default ICOM IC-2820H vs ICOM ID-800H

D. Stussy wrote:
"Tom Horne" wrote in message
Is there anyone here who can explain to me why the ICOM IC-2820H costing
$649.95 with the UT-123 D-Star DV Digital Voice / GPS Unit $269.95 for
a total of $919.90 can be worth so much more than the Icom ID-800H
costing only $559.99 with the Dstar all ready installed. I would really
like to know because at first look the ID-800H looks like a fantastic
bargain. What am I missing. I'm not trying to start an argument I just
cannot understand what makes the one worth $920 and the other $560. Any
insights would be welcome.

1) Dual Receive (The 800 can only receive one frequency at a time)
2) GPS (The 800 doesn't have this).
3) Remote head.

The manuals can be downloaded from http://www.dstar.ca/docs.html as PDF
files. There are probably more differences.

So the dual VFOs and the built in GPS is worth $360 more? The ID 800H
also has a removable control head so that one I left alone. I guess I
would have thought that the additional features and utility justified
$200 additional tops but $360? Since the Kenwood TM-D710A testing has
shown that it's built in TNC is just as robust as most external ones
I'll probably go that route given that the Packet infrastructure is
already built out. My primary interest being in EMCOMM that makes more
sense to me right now.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison