Old January 14th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Passaneau John Passaneau is offline

Default folding a dipole in half

(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote in
:

I have a very short space where I need to put up a temporary antenna.
It has to be rolled out during the day and rolled up and hidden at
night.

20m would be a good band for me to use, and it will just about fit, so
I was thinking of a 1/4 wavelength radiator with a 1/4 wavelength
counterpoise made out of wire.

Since I have lots of 300 Ohm twinlead just sitting around, I could
make the radiator out of it. I understand that if I were to short both
ends and center feed it, it would be a standard 300 ohm folded dipole.

I think if I were to short the ends and end feed it, it would be a
eaquivalent to a wide(er) 1/4 wavelength end fed antenna and still
need a counterpoise.

What would happen if I were to end feed it as if it were two seperate
wires, either with a balun or without? Would it work? What is this
called?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

If I understand what you are suggesting it would be a shorted transmission
line, not an antenna. I would look at an end feed half wave antenna, like a
zep or the ones from PAR electronics. I've homebrewed them myself and they
do work.

John Passaneau