Old January 14th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison Richard Harrison is offline

Default folding a dipole in half

Geoff Mendelson wrote:
"I think if I were to short both ends and center feed it, it would be an
equivalent to a wid(er) 1/4 wavelength end fed antenna and will still
need a counterpoise."

No counterpoise needed. Its called a "folded quarter wave dipole". Its
first resonance is due to its 1/2-wave circumference. Its input
resistance is not 300 ohms but 600 ohms. Its gain is 0,5 dB less than
the 1/2-wave dipole. This information is from "TV and Other Receiving
Antennas" by Arnold B. Bailey.

You might want to feed it with 450 ohm ladder line.

Best regards, Richard H. Harrison. KB5WZI