Old January 16th 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.swap
Carter-k8vt Carter-k8vt is offline

Default Question about tube testing

None wrote:
Hi all,

I just got my B&K 747 tube tester back from professional
calibration and service at CTech Electronics, and I'm now very
careful in how I use it, so as not to damage anything like I
aparently did before.

My question is this: I now hit the 'shorts' button first thing
after the filament is lit. If it lights, I pull the tube and do NOT
hit the 'test' button.

But is there ever a circumstance where a 'good' tube will cause
the shorts light to light? I ask because I had some 6146s a while
ago that would light the 'shorts' light up, but tested far into the
'good' range scale.

Sorry, not familiar at all with your model of B&K tester; I grew up
using Hickok testers.

To answer your question above, at least in the Hickok world, sometimes a
"good" tube will show a short. However, if this is the case, there will
be a comment on the roll chart noting that. In the B&K world, your
mileage may vary.