Old January 17th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default painting tubes black for heat disposal???

Chuck Harris ) writes:
spamhog wrote:
Dull, black, heat resistant paints
have been used to help cool engines for ages.

It would be cool (literally) if one could
spray and heat-cure unshielded tubes
and improve their heat-shedding

Is there any indication that such paints,
or some vacuum-tube specific types,
would help keeping tubes cool
by improving heat radiation?

No, but don't let that stop you from trying it
anyway.

-Chuck

Of course, there were tube shields that seemed intended to act
as heat sinks. I can't remember if I merely thought that, or
if I knew that somehow. But they real contact with the tube
glass and certainly seemed as if they could draw heat from them,
the same way heatsinks dissipate heat from semiconductors.

Michael VE2BVW