Old January 18th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jamieson r[_2_] jamieson r[_2_] is offline

Default Identifying RFI noise

"couple of the noise spurs have a beep noise that is happening once per
second (could it be some kind of clock/timer?)" also digital hash.
Had this, it was apparently feeding into my house via the cable system.
The cable guy mentioned that it may be some type of local medical appliance
causing the problem, radiating to the cable lines, but I've also had this at
a different location as well. The cable company itself could be the
culprit?
Disconnect your cable at the in connection usually outside at the box
attached to your wall. Just break the seal and disconnect it....tell them
it might have been some kids that did it, if they even ask.
If this fails, run the radio from a battery source and shut the main
breaker off. This will at least let you know if the interference is from
either outside the house or in.

"AussieDrifter" wrote in message
G'day Aaron,

A very similar thing happened to me!! I track the bugger down to Touch
Lamps. They are the most if not worse than CRT tv and computer
monitors, source of RFI.

Touch lamps are "on" in principle 24x7 until you tounch them and the
light turn on and off, but to totally off etc.

If your nieghbour(s) has them, then hmmmm not sure what you can do
dipolmatically and cheaply

For me, told the wife whats what (in otherwords beggged) and got new
lamps (The expensive ones she liked).

Another couple of suggestions / possible source are

1. Broadband over power lines (BPL) or worse

2. These new home network things that you can network your house through
the power sockets using a network to power socket thingy that plugs into
the power socket and acts as a network ....

Regards
Mark

Location: Canberra Australia
Radio: Icom R75 with DSP options
Antenna: Cliff Dweller 2
Website: http://aussiedrifter.blogspot.com/

Listen Live via USTREAM.TV:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/aussie...wave-listening

Aaron Kreider wrote:
I have a rfi noise that is throughout the entire shortwave spectrum
(0.1-30 mhz) at about an equal strength - it occurs approximately
every 60 khz (and sometimes every 30 khz).

The noise is very strong - S9 - S9+20 db, on a very short antenna (6
feet) to my Drake R8, despite my radio being 25 feet or more from the
noise source. The noise comes from a nearby appartment.

The noise is 24 hours/day and has been going on ever since I moved
(over 1 year). It occasionally drops in strength for 1 second. A
couple of the noise spurs have a beep noise that is happening once per
second (could it be some kind of clock/timer?). It generally sounds
like a digital hash (eg more of a hash than a buzz sound).

I'm wondering - what kind of device would produce this noise?