Old January 22nd 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default DX, CW only or do some people do voice too?

Jeff wrote:
The main problem I have with morse is
synchronization...
by that I mean, I can learn the tones, but at some point I can't
distinguish
a dit from a dah, and then I lose track of where I am in a character
and it
all seems to mix together...need more practice.

There are various methods for doing that. Code Quick converts the
character into words which makes it processed in a different part
of your brain.

After 29 years of trying unsucessfully to learn morse code by being
beeped at, I learned it in a few months with code quick. At my peak,
I was able to copy 35 wpm.

Jerry Zilliak, KB6MT, produced a high speed words course in the
1980's which once I learned with code quick, helped me get up there.
He still sells it.

Code is no longer required for a (U.S.) license, so that should
not stop you from getting on the air. You can learn good operating
procedure, how to find and contact DX stations and so on with SSB.

Once you get your code speed up to a reliable, accurate 5 wpm, you
can move to CW, and build your speed on the air.

As for an antenna, a random wire would do for a start.

73,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/