Old January 22nd 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
The Shadow[_2_] The Shadow[_2_] is offline

Default DX, CW only or do some people do voice too?

"Jeff" wrote in message
Does anyone do anything besides CW while DX'ing? I still have to
learn/practice CW but would like to try my hand at DX. I know that CW
is generally most efficient at low power, but if you don't yet know
it..it isn't much help..

Lots of DXers work SSB, RTTY, PSK31and even FM while DXing

This is evident by looking at the ARRL DXCC award listings see URL:
http://www.arrl.org/awards/dxcc/ click on DXCC Listings for PHONE

Some DXpeditions and DX stations operate CW only, so it is definitely worth
while to master the code.
My log book shows 2/3 SSB, 1/3 CW and a few data contacts.

When the sunspot cycle is up, you can work tons of DX on SSB with just 100
watts and a good antenna.
In fact when propagation is favorable, one can work DXCC (100 countries)
with 5 Watts of power (QRP) quite easlily either SSB or CW or both (mixed)

Lamont (DXCC honor roll mixed) DXCC Phone - All Time Confirmed + Deleted --
328 (319 Current)