Old January 23rd 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
wa5dxp wa5dxp is offline

Default Trying to ID a relay

Dear Pete;

When I did a search on the relay I came across an article I think on
the Yaesu rig you mention, and it appears that rig uses the same
relay, and it appears to be a common problem with the relays in that
rig. They suggested either gold plating the thing (very elaborate
process) or there was an article by a foreign ham on subistutiing
another OMRON relay using a 14 pin dip socket for the replacement
base and soldering the OMRON in via wires, etc.

I never heard of DeOxid but will try to find it, would be nice to have
in the shack. Ted in following message located one in a catalog.

Yes, the cover does come off, and I tried cleaning the contacts with
paper, and it worked just fine. After I put it all back together
again it got intermittent again. The mechanism is very unsual to any
relay I have ever seen.

If I can get the replacment then can work on the orignal using the
testing mentioned in the above article. The contact resistance should
be less than 1 Milliohm according to the article.if I remember right.

Thanks for your response.

Jim

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:47:11 -0500, "Tio Pedro"
wrote:

"wa5dxp" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for any help,

Jim,, WA5DXP

Hello Jim

Is this package the same pinout spacing as a standard 14-pin DIP IC?

Those are fairly unversal parts, the pinouts should be the same between
brands.

If the relay has a clear plastic snap-on cover, a gentle cleaning with a
non-residue
contact cleaner such as DeOxid will usually bring them back to life. I just
finished
doing that treatment to every relay in my FT-726, mainboards and modules!

Otherwise, solder in replacements should be available from NTE Electronics,
Inc.
(check their online catalog for relay products), or from DigiKey or Mouser.
I think
even RadioShack carried them a few years back...

Pete k1zjh