Old January 24th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison Richard Harrison is offline

Default Standing-Wave Current vs Traveling-Wave Current

Roy Lewallen wrote:
"I got to thinking about this a little more, and want to reclaim the
"net" modifier."

Researching my trusty 1955 Terman opus, I find on page 91, Fig. 4-3,
"Vector diagrams showing manner in which the incident and reflected
waves combined to produce a voltage distribution on the transmission
line."

Exactly 1/4-wave back from the open-circuit load, the incident and
reflected voltage vectors are out-of-phase resulting in a minimum
voltage point on the line. On page 92, Fig. 4-4 shows that the minimum
voltage point is also the maximum current point.

The energy does not go away at minima on the line but merely shifts from
the electric field to the magnetic field or vice versa.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI