Old January 25th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono, rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected][_2_] shoppa@trailing-edge.com[_2_] is offline

Default Biggish speaker in wood box wanted

I like listening to shortwave and ham stuff using biggish speakers.
Little speakers like computer speakers sound chintzy to my ears.

As examples, I have an old 50's Caliphone record player/PA system that
has two remote 15" speakers and I just love the way my shortwave and
ham stuff sounds through these speakers. I also have some Electovoice
EV5's (again, big old mellow speakers) and I love the way things sound
through these.

But I don't want to undo my record player setup or stereo system setup
to borrow the speakers. If I wanted a new speaker with similar
qualities - nothing fancy, just a big speaker in a big wood box -
where would I look? Would a guitar amp speaker (something I can buy at
a guitar store?) be the right thing for me to buy?

Going into Short Circuit City or Radio Shack I don't see anything that
really seems like what I want. I did get a couple of Radio Shack patio
speakers (5 inch drivers in a metal box) and those are better than
anything else new I've found, but they still don't sound mellow enough
and still a bit tinny. They're sort-of listenable and I've been using
them for a while but their tinny is kinda grating after a while. I
want big and mellow. Where do I go and what do I ask for?

Tim.