Old January 25th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
gwatts gwatts is offline

Default Biggish speaker in wood box wanted

wrote:
I like listening to shortwave and ham stuff using biggish speakers.
Little speakers like computer speakers sound chintzy to my ears.

I know what you mean, my station extension speakers are some 8" stereo
speakers I found at a thrift store. No tweeters, just an 8" cone driver
and I like how they sound.

... Would a guitar amp speaker (something I can buy at
a guitar store?) be the right thing for me to buy?

It would probably get the sound you're after but it would be expensive
and big.

... Where do I go and what do I ask for?

I've had success in thrift stores like Good Will, pawn shops, etc. I
look for old stereo speakers with wood cabinets, not plastic.

In my van I use an old GE land mobile extension speaker. It sounds
great for voice communications, not tinny, not boomy. There's usually
someone at a hamfest selling old land mobile radios, they might have
speakers.

Happy Hunting!
- Galen, W8LNA