Old January 25th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Roger Sparks wrote in
:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 05:32:33 GMT
Owen Duffy wrote:

Roy Lewallen wrote in news:13pirk5h1cpt4f5
@corp.supernews.com:

Owen Duffy wrote:
Roger Sparks wrote in
:

... The reader can
also see that more power is present on the transmission line than
is delivered to the load.

The notion that "power is present" is a different one.

Owen

Nothing mysterious was hinted with the words "power is present".

As I finished writing the post, I wanted to call attention to the
assumption that the reflected power is true power and adds to the
amount of energy "stored" on the transmission line. But "stored" is
a word that implies static conditions, and static conditions are not
found on a transmission line. So I substituted "present" for "stored.

Roger,

If you were wanting to mean "stored", perhaps it is energy that is stored
(over a non-zero length of line) rather than power. In that sense, energy
is "present" on the line, and the load may store energy (only if it has
reactive elements, and irrespective of whether it looks resistive at its
terminals).

Owen