Old January 25th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono, rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected][_2_] shoppa@trailing-edge.com[_2_] is offline

Default Biggish speaker in wood box wanted

On Jan 25, 1:43*pm, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Jan 25, 12:31*pm, John Byrns wrote:

In article
,

*AB9GO wrote:
Speaker designed for use with amateur and two-way radio, shortwave and
scanner listening.

http://www.soundssweet.com

Look at how it is constructed and buy the parts fromwww.partsexpress.com
.
Here are reviews from hams that own this speaker:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2754

I don't know if I would trust that speaker to "sound sweet", it is a
"tuned port, bass reflex speaker", and those tend to have a peaky
resonant bass, not a sweet bass sound. *They probably used the "tuned
port, bass reflex" because the box would have had to be larger than
their target size otherwise.

How much bandwidth would a "Ham" speaker be expected to cover? Perhaps
the same as that required by basic telephony (300 - 3400hz)? Less?
Wiki gives:

Soprano (240 - 1170 Hz)
Mezzo-soprano (220 - 900 Hz)
Contralto (130 - 700 Hz)
Tenor (130 - 440 Hz)
Baritone (110 - 350 Hz)
Bass (80 - 330 Hz)

And Ham Radio ain't nohow opera... harmonics and overtones are
certainly less of an issue, perhaps? And no need at all to reproduce
basso-profundo notes for sure.

Looking at that information, things get a bit easier, perhaps?

Most communications speakers are rated at something like 100Hz to many
kHz. The oft-quoted number needed for voice communication (at least
male voice communication) is 300 to 3000 Hz.

The frequency ranges you posted were, I believe, fundamentals; a
certain amount of voice comprehension requires accurate reproduction
of the the harmonics, and I think I've read that for the lowest male-
voice frequencies, having the harmonics is more important for
comprehension than having the fundamental. (Makes sense... otherwise
the 300Hz to 3000Hz would exclude all the voice ranges you give, in
particular nearly ALL of the bass range!)

I have an unfounded belief that for voice communications, any
resonance or substantial variation in response in the 300 to 3kHz
range is in large part responsible for the "tinny" sound that I
ascribe to small speakers.

Tim.