Old January 27th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Joseph Fenn Joseph Fenn is offline

Default New AT&T Home phone

Last responder said it gets power from the phone line itself.
That is a negative. If true then when I unplugged both the
AC adapter and the ph line plug it would have lost all its
SET-UP info instantly. I had to unplug the ph plug and the
adapter, take it down to the local Radio-Shack and they then
Pluged it into the Ph line and plugged in the AC adapter.
All my settings and stored memories stayed in tack as I had set
them. So your assumption that the Ph line power keeps the
setup chip active is wrong. Also removing the AC adapter
did not loose the SET-UP settings. Only thing I wanted to
change was "change rings to 2, then announcement to leave
a msg after tone goes out. The guy at Radio Shack did replug it in
to his ph line, replugged the ac adapter in, and proceeded to
change the nr of rings to 2 rings then announce. He did it so
fast I could'nt even see which setup key he changed the rings
from 7 down to 2. So obviously some kind of chip in the phone
does'nt rely on any external power source to keep its setup info
active.
Joe
(someone suggested it might be Flash chip whatever that is.)