Old January 27th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Derivation of Reflection Coefficient vs SWR

Suzy wrote:
"JOHN PASSANEAU" wrote in message
There is no such thing as DC! How's that you say? You have to turn it on
sometime and someday you may turn it off. There for, DC is just very low
frequency AC.

John Passaneau W3JXP

That's false reasoning OM! Alternating current is not the same as
discontinuous current. In the example you provide, a DC supply is either off
or on; it does not reverse polarity! You do not make AC by switching on and
off DC, even at 50 Hz (or your 60 Hz)

But through the techniques of linear circuit analysis, we can split the
pulsed DC into two components, a pure steady DC component and a
symmetrical AC component. We can do two separate analyses with the two
(AC and DC) excitations, and sum the results. The answer will be exactly
the same as if we had done the calculations directly. One can then
reasonably claim that the switched DC is the sum of an AC waveform and a
pure DC component.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL