Old January 27th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default iBiquity HD Radio Status

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
But to the point...given what we've seen him post here, and the
inconsistencies in some of his claims, I've wondered if that's not
precisely what he's doing.

Nothing I've posted can top your claim based on having, once upon a time,
gotten a FORMAT added to a LOCAL buy that it would be easy to get an
agency to change the client DEMOS for a buy...

Sweetheart....no one, not even me, said it was easy. I said it was
possible. And it is. It happens every day.

I spoke with execs from a major national rep firm, and they say, just as I
do, that getting an agency to change a demo is next to impossible. One of
them, a few weeks ago in NYC, said they could not even remember the last
time they heard of it happening.

What stations do is adjust pricing so that whatever amount of listening in
the target demo that the station has is competitive with the agency goal for
that demo. The spillage is free.

Why? Because the station develops a relationship with the agency.

Agencies don't set demos. The client does, and the demo is usually based on
ROI.and product design, boh of which are inmutable.

SALES, on the other hand, is about relationships.

Relationships can get you considered if your are 7th in a demo and the buy
is only five deep. They can not change the demo spec from the client

No one has ever said that building the relationship is easy. But it IS
possible. Because it happens every day. EVERY DAY.

And someone with your experience knows that.

And for those of you in Rio Linda, the above is an example of one of
those inconsistencies to which I referred.

When my experience, as GSM and NSM as well as GM, our managers' experience
and our rep's experience all say that changing a demo spec happens once in a
blue moon, I believe them more than your single anecdote. What you describe
seldom if ever happens, even with the best relationships as the agency
relationship with the client is not going to be sacrificed for a friendship
with a radio station when radio is and has been a small part of the average
client's budget.