Old January 29th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SDGreen SDGreen is offline

Default Wide-Band Scanner Receivers -and- Wide-Band Active Antennas = Synergy & Utility

"m II" wrote in message
junius wrote:

I just wish the IC-R20 had a 3 kHz Narrow AM filter, as in the AR-8200
Mark IIIB...

How do you find the R20 other than the bandwidth? The specs look pretty
good for sideband. The price has been lowered a bit also. I'd get a
Yupiteru 9000, but the lack of a computer interface prevents that.

The R20 seems a better deal than the 8200.

mike

====================

The ICOM R-20 is a pretty impressive communications reciever in my view. I
also run a ICOM 706 transciever and a old solid state Heathkit SB303 unit ,
and without question the IC R20 is more sensitive with better selectivity,
certainly on SSB signals. However like all communications recievers, the
unit does require an antenna. The provided telescoping is basically useless.
The battery life is a real plus with experience in the 18 to 20 hour range
(not scanning). The ANL and NB seem to work ok. For LW/MW the am side could
be a little bit more narrow, and like others have said ICOM should have
included that feature. VHF/UHF and beyond work really well. The R-20 seems
to be solidly constructed. Some features could have been implemented
differently like the TS control. The integrated IC Recorder is of interest
and also works well.

I also have the computer usb interface and software, where one can easily
input / change station data / scan edges / modify any one of the 1200+
memories.

I have four antennas, (1) 260 foot long wire (2) 23 foot VHF dual band
vertical (3) 12 foot VHF -lo 6m (4) 163 foot dipole from which I can select.
The R-20 reacts well without overloading.

For a small package, works well. I assume the AOR handheld wide band would
work just as well.

==