Old February 3rd 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default What About Using a 9:1 Matching Transformer with a Longwire Antennaand a Ground at the Radio Shack ?

What About Using a 9:1 Matching Transformer with a Longwire Antenna
and a Ground at the Radio Shack ?

On Feb 1, 3:00 pm, Neil wrote:
- i have a 80 foot longwire, attached to the center conductor of a
- coax which then leads into my house and to my reveiver (NRD 545).
- The coax shield is grounded at the entry point into my house..
-
- I have no balun between the longwire and my coax.
- So my question is would a 9:1 balun give me any SIGNIFICANT
- improvement in signal level or in noise reduction?

NEIL - The Answer would be : No and Yes ~ RHF

Generally Speaking using a 9:1 Matching Transformer with
a Longwire Antenna and a Ground at the Radio Shack :
[ The so-called "Magnetic Longwire Balun" (MLB) ]

1st - "No" - The peak Signal Levels may be less on some
Frequencies -but- the Average Signal Level will be equal
or higher across all Frequencies : 500 kHz to 30 MHz.

2nd - "Yes" - The Average Noise Level will be lower across
all Frequencies : 500 kHz to 30 MHz.

3rd - "Results" - Good Signal Levels and Lower Noise result
in a Better Signal-to-Noise Ratio which means that the general
Listenability of your Signals coming from the Antenna to your
Radio / Receiver Improves "Significantly".

PLUS Three Low Noise Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna
Messages to Read -by- John Doty :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bc6a2bf8acc12d
* SWL Longwire
* Low Noise Antenna Connection
* Grounding Is Key To Good Reception

That Something Extra : For Basic Shortwave Radio Listening
(SWL) -Think- Inverted "L" Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...0a3255b9ad5367

-ps- Telamon be sure to Count* this as another one
of my 'Clueless Posts' -cause- IT IS ! ;-{
Plus Extra Credit for the : Cut, Copy and Paste Stuff. )
* Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup Readers :
Please I Need Your Votes ! -and- I Want Your Votes !
In this Weeks Race for the RRS "Clueless Troll" Award.