Old February 5th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
blue box thief blue box thief is offline

Default Any opinions on Yaesu FT-450

On 2008-02-05, The Shadow wrote:

"blue box thief" "blue box wrote in message
in...
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new radio, and have been looking at some
different radios from the point of view of:

output power
ATU (internal, optional)
general receive coverage (at least 0-30MHz full coverage)
receive quality
internal filters (optional filters also)
ability to run on emergency power (I wish to use it for RACES-emcomm
usage)
ability to run as a home station

I want to run this radio 80% of the time as home station, and 20% as
emcomm
station.

I have been looking at the FT-450 and it seems to be very capable and fits
most of the above requirements.

I have also been looking at the Yaesu FT-897, which seems to be a more
mobile radio.

I am still making the decision, but I was wondering if anyone has either
radio
(or ideally both) and could give some opinions (constructive please!).

thanks in advance,
bernard
ei8fdb

Over 227 reviews of the Yaesu FT-897 at URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2432

Over 37 reviews for the FT-450 at URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6583

Hi lamont,

Yes, I have read both sets of reviews from eham (also looked at QST, and, I think,
the PW review).

The most logical reason for the more 897 reviews is that radio has been out alot longer
(4-5 more years?) than the 450 (it was released sometime last year).

Does anyone have any first hand experience/opinions of either of these radios?

thanks