Old February 7th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed_G Ed_G is offline

Default Any opinions on Yaesu FT-450

Oh, one more thing Ed. Have you ever carried the radio for a long
distance? Is it heavy? I know its 2.xKg, but just wondering if its
possible to carry the thing in a backpack?

No, I'm not much of a packer any more. If there was any significant
reason for me to pack a radio on my body, I would get the FT-857...
although more for size reason than weight. THe FT-450 is smallish, and
far lighter and smaller than most of the radios aimed at use as a
primary base station, but still, its a bit big compared to the smaller
mobile type radios.

Yes, its is possible to carry the FT-450 but its size, in my
opinion, would possibly preclude carrying some other desired stuff....
and of course batteries would be the biggest problem. If you really
want to hoof it into the wilderness I'd recommend something like the FT-
817... even though it is a QRP rig.

Ed K7AAT