Old February 8th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] dxsavant@myisp.com is offline

Default WOW - Alpha Delta Prices, OUCH

There was a thread a short while ago about the Hy-Power AB-SWL-SL
that is available for ~$90. I thought this was a bit pricey so I
looked at the cost of the similar Alpha Delta DX-SWL..........talk
about sticker shock! That antenna sells for about $120!!!!!
I knew copper prices were up but nonetheless this price shocked me.
I'm not knocking the antenna - I used to use the DX-SWL-S which is a
40 foot version that I bought about 12 years ago for under $30. Sure
is an incentive to roll your own. Heck, my inverted L (vertical ~ 25
feet and horizontal about 50 feet) with the ICE 182A performed better
than the Alpha Delta and I would be willing to bet that even with
copper prices being up - could be done for less than buying pre-made.

Again, not knocking Alpha-Delta or any of the other antenna suppliers
- just illustrating one of the benefits of roll your own. Speaking of
which - I once had an EWE antenna that worked nicely, maybe it's time
for another antenna project................