Old February 11th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap
William O'Hara William O'Hara is offline

Default Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

I would like to point out as a former Assistant RACES Officer for a local
community in Massachusetts, that Mr. Romney is absolutely correct.

The current EMA-ARRL structure co-exists with the STATE RACES Officer and
going nothing.

ARES has nets that do NOTHING. RACES does nothing. 85% of the
communities south of Boston do not have any active participation in the
RACES drills.

One of the studio engineers was a ham and threw out the question to
Jacobsen as something to hit Mr. Romney.

Frankly, MEMA is much better organized than everyone would think. A
total communications melt-down is impossible in Massachusetts due to
MEMA, SP and SG preparations. The Air Wing is ready to roll out portable
towers for cell phones. The SP has several rolling CC and backup towers
for the 800 Mhz system. Each town has the 800 Mhz radios provided by the
state.

Just so you know that some of those guys actually doing things are HAMs.
They learned by being hams. Yet, we don't need hams as a massive fodder
to materialize for the day of rescue. I would like to think Mr. Romney
is right about this as we are paying our TAX DOLLARS for service!

"laborkei" wrote in
:

Attention all Amateur Operators.
Please Read, and send your comments to the ARRL and Romney Website.

Wednesday 16 November 2005 @ 15:48:10 | Eastern Massachusetts ARRL
Romney 'Disses' Amateur Radio In
Televised Town Meeting Posted on Wednesday16 November 2005 @ 15:48:10

--