Old February 12th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Bryan Bryan is offline

Default Cantenna dummyload oil

RP wrote:
Hi I need to building a 4 ohm 1500 watt "cantenna paint can style" dummy
load for audio and guitar amp work. I have forgotten what type of oil to

use
for heat transfer.
Id like something easy to get (like peanut or something with a high
flashpoint).
Don't want to loose the house.
Joe "NOSPAM"

Hi Joe,

I recently revived a Cantenna. When it came time to refill, I considered
mineral oil and decided to go with transfomer oil because of the better
thermal characteristic. Others have suggested that you can buy it from MFJ,
but I found it as close as my local power company. It was no big deal for
them to give me a gallon. ^5

Your audio dummy load sounds interesting. You might consider keeping an eye
on the oil temperature, as my Cantenna gets noticeably warm fairly
quickly... can't drive it at 1KW sinewave for very long. I envision a
thermistor comparator audible indicator.

73,
Bryan WA7PRC