Old February 12th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Erich Erich is offline

Default Cantenna dummyload oil

Mineral oil works well. The only problem I had was that the extreme
temperature swings where I live put some condensation in the cantenna
and the bottom eventually rusted out. An old paint can works just as
well but doesn't have the fancy graphics on the outside.

The look on the clerk's face when you check out in the drug store with a
gallon of mineral oil - PRICELESS!

Erich, N6FD

Jim Higgins wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:45:07 GMT, "RP"
wrote:

Hi I need to building a 4 ohm 1500 watt "cantenna paint can style" dummy
load for audio and guitar amp work. I have forgotten what type of oil to use
for heat transfer.
Id like something easy to get (like peanut or something with a high
flashpoint).
Don't want to loose the house.
Joe "NOSPAM"

I suggest light mineral oil, unless you can get transformer oil
cheaper. Both are mineral oil, one just a bit more refined, which is
absolutely unnecessary in your application - or as 50 ohm amateur
radio dummy loads for that matter.

I only listed the "Transformer Oil" link below for its reference to
mineral oil. I'm not for a second suggesting any of the fancy new
alternatives mentioned at that link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_oil