Old February 19th 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
J @ Hotmail J @ Hotmail is offline

Default LW/MW preselector update

Hurry, hurry, get it on the market. 'Making room on my desk.
"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
. ..
I just wired up the new unit with the wide range tuning capacitor. It
measures from 14pf to 1600pF. The tuning is a little bit skewed towards

the
low end, so I am going to wind a MW loopstick and see how low I can tune
with it. In my original prototype, I used a high Q tuning cap that had
ceramic standoffs for the stator plates. The new cap has a much higher Q,

as
evidenced by the 10dB increase in RF output. The final version may need a

spoiling control. A vernier drive will definitely be required for tuning.
Still a bit of work to do............I think the enclosure for the RF unit
will be fine, but the enclosure for the loopstick will need to be an
injection molded structure and will consist of a clamshell affair that can
be screwed together. This will make it more manufacturable. I am using PVC
pipe for the prototype units. Last night, I wound a loopstick for the 1.6

5.4MHz range. It was nice to be able to null out that interference on 60
Meters. Oh well..............time to go to sleep!

Pete

"RHF" wrote in message
On Feb 15, 6:48 am, "
wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:43?am, "Pete KE9OA" wrote:

I've got the first iteration prototype completed. Yesterday, I had a
chance
to compare this unit to a McKay Dymek
snip .

- - I can't reveal who the manufacturer of this unit is going to be,
- - but some of you have probably already guessed it.
- -
- -Pete
-
- The word on the Palstar group at Yahoo is that Palstar
- is intending to launch a number of new products this year,
- including an active ferrite/loop antenna with interchangeable
heads,
- a transceiver and a receiver.
- The active antenna is likely to debut at Dayton in May.
-
- 73 John KC0G
-

Well if Pete [KE9OA] is Designing It -and- Palstar is Building It

it will be a gooder - imho ~ RHF
.
CAUTION : This Post Has Not Been "Approved"
-by- Telamon. - http://tinyurl.com/yshplv
-ps- So Read It Only -If- You Are "Clueless".
-back-at-cha- Teli-Baby that is # 216 for the Month.
.