Old February 19th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Clever Monkey Clever Monkey is offline

Default Finding pirates

Billy Burpelson wrote:
cadillac_eldorado wrote:

I know sometimes they
broadcast their frequencies on WWV
Pirates broadcasting on WWV?

Sorry, should have been more clear--they're not broadcasting *on* WWV,
but *over* WWV's frequency.

Is that not true? I think I read that somewhere, but perhaps I just
imagined that.

Well, we have no way of knowing what you read, but, although -anything-
is possible, it seems unlikely for the following two reasons.

First, why would they (the pirates) transmit on a frequency that is
already occupied by multi-kilowatt transmitters 24/7 (WWV)?

Finally, the government takes a dim view of pirates already; why would
the pirates -really- try to incur the wrath of the government by jamming
a government service?

But again, anything is possible, I suppose...

Well, if I wanted to annoy said government, and had some funny ideas
about how to go about doing that, and was pretty sure I wouldn't be
caught in this lifetime, I might do something like this.
--
clvrmnky

Direct replies to this address will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap"
with my name to contact me directly.