Old February 21st 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default 80-10 Helical tapped mobile whip

Eric wrote:
But then, winding a helical for 80M is not going to be fun, either. If
memory serves, I think you need a half wavelength of wire wrapped
around a pole.

Seems to me the wind loading is going to be
a severe problem. Let's say it is 8 feet long.
At 2 turns per inch, it would need to be about
3 inches in diameter. That's about 200+ square
inches of wind loading. It will probably require
a guyed fiberglass pipe as a coil form. I calculate
about 150 feet of wire is needed for the above design.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com