Old February 22nd 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
tchrme tchrme is offline

Default Help Needed on Halli SX 140

On Feb 21, 11:30 am, exray wrote:
A short while back I posted my findings on an SX-140 resurrection.
You should be able to find it by searching here. Silver mica disease
is all too prevalent nowadays so if thats not an issue for you then
the rest is pretty reliable.
As for the meter...I really haven't paid much attention to it because
its such a cheap bouncy thing but it does seem to read about what I
would expect.

Bill W X 4 A

Thank you Scott and Bill for your suggestions. After some more time
spent on it, the S meter will read almost full scale when picking up a
nearby sig gen or for the built in crystal calibrator, but barely
moves on other signals. I replaced a tube, most caps, the out of spec
resistors and checked the pots. Could the caps in the IF's be bad if
the audio reception works well but the S meter only work on very
strong signals? I thought the symtom of bad IF caps is thunder crashes
and poor audio. I haven't found anything pulling down the AVC. 73 Mike
KF6KXG