Old February 22nd 08, 10:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Help Needed on Halli SX 140

"tchrme" wrote in message
On Feb 21, 11:30 am, exray wrote:
A short while back I posted my findings on an SX-140
resurrection.
You should be able to find it by searching here. Silver
mica disease
is all too prevalent nowadays so if thats not an issue
for you then
the rest is pretty reliable.
As for the meter...I really haven't paid much attention
to it because
its such a cheap bouncy thing but it does seem to read
about what I
would expect.

Bill W X 4 A

Thank you Scott and Bill for your suggestions. After some
more time
spent on it, the S meter will read almost full scale when
picking up a
nearby sig gen or for the built in crystal calibrator, but
barely
moves on other signals. I replaced a tube, most caps, the
out of spec
resistors and checked the pots. Could the caps in the IF's
be bad if
the audio reception works well but the S meter only work
on very
strong signals? I thought the symtom of bad IF caps is
thunder crashes
and poor audio. I haven't found anything pulling down the
AVC. 73 Mike
KF6KXG

Bad tuning caps in the IF can cause frequency
instability. The tuning may change from cold to warm. This
is typical of bad mica caps. Bad by-pass or decoupling caps
can cause instability in the form of oscillation, low gain
and other problems. Paper type caps can go bad with age and
should be replaced with more modern ceramic or plastic
types.
I think the mica cap desease mentioned above may be a
rapid instability which shows up as an irregular warbling
where the caps are in the local oscillator. This is
sometimes called scintellation. I am not sure of the cause
but it seems fairly common in silvered-mica types in molded
cases.

--
---
Richard Knoppow