Old February 22nd 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
[email protected] nc183d@aol.com is offline

Default Is this Pilot set real?

All,
There is a listing on eBay for this Pilot radio:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

It is advertised as a T704. I have never heard or seen a T704, but I
do have a T502U, which is the EXACT same radio, except the dial on the
T502U just has Pilot Radio on it. The T704 has Pilot Junior. I am
somewhat skeptical of this set for the following reasons.
1) The white Plaskon is just TOO white. Ivory was the color that these
sets were produced in, the T500 (all Ivory) and the T502U ( Ivory and
Brown) has this off-white color that was pretty much the same shade in
each model.
2) The product tag on the back of the set looks like it may be a
replacement. I know from experience that on T500's and T502U's, the
product label/tube layout was on the bottom of the set.
3) I asked the seller if he could send me a photo of the bottom of the
set as I was curious about this anamoly. His answer was that the set
is already packed and waiting shipment. I, for one have NEVER pre-
packed an item, just in case an interested buyer wanted more photos.
I leave it up to you folks to check this set out and see what you may
think.
rgds,
Mark S.