Old February 24th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Default David Gleason's 'baptismal' moniker

msg wrote:

From www.davidgleason.com:

I was born after the Second World War in Cleveland,

Ohio as David Frackelton Gleason. My second given name,
Eduardo, was bestowed upon my baptism.

Now, only by searching church records could one contest or
verify this assertion; considering that there seems to be
no accessible evidence to the contrary, why do folks
continue to question the validity of this name?

Perhaps David could comment: was this moniker bestowed
as 'Eduardo' or 'Edward' or 'Edouard' or some other
version of the name?

I should have check the archives of this N.G.; from a post
by 'David Eduardo' in Feb. 2007:

My mother selected the name, and the godparents "gave it" at the
ceremony... as in "they gave the response" That's the way it is done. The
priest asks the godparents, "and what name have you selected..." and the
godparents respond. The person who decided on the name can be the parents,
or the whole family, I suppose. In my case, it was my mother... who used a
name she liked from when she lived in Europe whjich was, as required, also
the name of a saint.

So why does this name-calling persist? Are the participants invested in
some Lemon-Mathau "Grumpy Old Men" style of rivalry? There are never any
emoticons or cues to the intensity of remarks so one can only conclude
that they are either done in animosity or in poorly-constructed mock
indignation, left up to the reader to deduce.

Michael

Michael