Old February 24th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Grounding in Sand

Ed_G wrote:
For an electrical safety ground, you should follow the requirements of
the National Electrical Code (NEC).

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

True, but rather impractical for most hams, I suspect. I would
have to run a #6 or larger cable over 100' to bond the ground rod just
outside my ham shack to the building power entry ground.

So.... would I be better off just relying on the wall outlet ground
to my equipment? I'm just looking for electrical power safety, plus a
little help in possible static dissipation.

The whole purpose of wall outlet grounds is electrical safety. You
should hope your wall outlet ground is connected to a ground system
which conforms to the NEC. If not, you might be facing some hazards when
using electrical appliances, and might have trouble collecting insurance
money if an electrical fire ever happens. I don't see much purpose in
making another ground system if your home electrical system is properly
grounded according to code. If it isn't, you'd better spend your effort
in bringing it up to code, then using it for electrical safety.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL