Old February 25th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed_G Ed_G is offline

Default Grounding in Sand

The whole purpose of wall outlet grounds is electrical safety. You
should hope your wall outlet ground is connected to a ground system
which conforms to the NEC. If not, you might be facing some hazards

when
using electrical appliances, and might have trouble collecting

insurance
money if an electrical fire ever happens. I don't see much purpose in
making another ground system if your home electrical system is

properly
grounded according to code. If it isn't, you'd better spend your

effort
in bringing it up to code, then using it for electrical safety.

OK. I may now consider that my electrical outlet will provide the
necessariy equipment ground.

Just to present the facts, this is a brand new home with brand new
electrical service in a nearly new neighborhood with new electrical
underground services.... so I must assume that everything was done
properly and to new to have deteriorated.

Secondly, in reference to my grounding my equipment, No, I would
not be relying on coax shields for grounding. My reference to my own
ground system outside the shack was for a DC ground for each and every
piece of my shack equipment which would be tied individually to a common
shack ground bonded by large cable to an outside ground system.

( Richard, you anticipated my ground intentions incorrectly as I
would never use a coax connection for grounding.... ) But I do
understand ground currents.... so perhaps I'd be better off just letting
the equipment ground itself through the Outlet's little bitty #12 wire
all the way back to the meter box ground.)

Ed K7AAT