Old February 29th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bryan Bryan is offline

Default Need SP600 JX-17 Front Panel Repainted

Richard Knoppow wrote:

Nelson Gietz wrote:

Rich wrote:
Need SP600 JX-17 Front Panel Repainted
Does anyone here restore front panels on
a SP-600 JX-17?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.Rich KF2GG

Rich,
You can do the job yourself. I have the same model,
and redid the front
panel. As I recall I stripped it, and used emery and
steel wool to get an
even
finish. I then used the nearest match I could find in a
metal spray paint
and
coated the entire panel. The lettering etc is stamped-in
on this one, so
very
careful work with a paint pen restored that. Over all, I
clearcoated it.
It may not be "exactly" correct in color, and may be a
little glossier
than
original, but it looks very good. I wasn't trying for a
museum restoration,
though.
Hope this helps.
Nelson

Some paint places have color analysers that can
determine a mixture to duplicate samples. I've not heard of
anyone using this for radio equipment but the idea occurs to
me. Of course, the paint would not be in spray cans but
brushed paint can be quite uniform and there are small, not
too expensive sprayers.
I wonder if anyone out there has tried this.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

If one isn't using rattle-cans, NAPA has an aerosol paint sprayer made by
Preval in their Balkamp line (pn BK 7705030). It holds 16oz of paint. The
recharge kit is pn BK 7705031. I used it to apply negative etch-resist
(fancy photosensitive enamel paint) to blank PC boards, and the results were
excellent. It's been a long time since I used that setup but, at that time,
it wasn't expensive. Applying the paint to surfaces that are first
"scuffed" w/ steel wool (or Scotchbrite) & then degreased goes a long way
toward the finished product's appearance. Slightly warming the part allows
you to spend less time between coats.

73,
Bryan WA7PRC